Succession to the Norwegian throne
|Part of a series on|
|Orders of succession 13|
The succession is currently governed by Article 6 of the Constitution, altered most recently in 1990 to introduce absolute primogeniture among the grandchildren and further eligible descendants of King Harald V. The King's children are still ranked according to male-preference cognatic primogeniture, which was the norm between 1971 and 1990; Crown Prince Haakon and his eligible descendants thus take precedence over his older sister, Princess Märtha Louise, and her eligible descendants.
Only legitimate descendants of the reigning monarch and the reigning monarch's siblings and their legitimate descendants can be in line to the throne. However, the King's elder sister, Princess Astrid and her descendants, along with descendants of the King's deceased eldest sister, Princess Ragnhild, are excluded from the line of succession due to the agnatic primogeniture which was the norm prior to 1971.
In the event that there is no-one in the line of succession, the Storting (Parliament) has the right to elect a successor under Article 7 (if the king is alive) or Article 48 (if the king has died).
Upon acceding to the throne (and being of age), the Norwegian monarch is required by Article 9 of the Constitution to take an oath before members of the Storting.
Line of succession
- King Harald V (born 1937)
- "Order of succession". www.royalcourt.no. Norwegian Royal Court.
- "His Royal Highness The Crown Prince". www.royalcourt.no. Norwegian Royal Court. Archived from the original on 13 November 2013. Retrieved 23 December 2013.
Crown Prince Haakon, born on 20 July 1973. Son of King Harald V and Queen Sonja. Heir to the throne.
- "Her Royal Highness The Princess". www.royalcourt.no. Norwegian Royal Court. Retrieved 23 December 2013.
Princess Ingrid Alexandra, born on 21 January 2004. Second in line for the Norwegian throne after her father, The Crown Prince.
- "His Highness Prince Sverre Magnus". www.royalcourt.no. Norwegian Royal Court. Retrieved 23 December 2013.
Third in line for the Norwegian throne after his sister, Princess Ingrid Alexandra.
- "Her Highness Princess Märtha Louise". www.royalcourt.no. Norwegian Royal Court. Retrieved 23 December 2013.
Born on 22 September 1971. Daughter of King Harald and Queen Sonja. Fourth in line for the Norwegian throne after her nephew Prince Sverre Magnus.